With the constant talk of ‘superfoods,’ it’s easy to be skeptical of the latest trending ingredients. However, some foods are supported by such a weight of evidence that they’re impossible to ignore.
Broccoli microgreens are in this category. More than just superfood, microgreens have been proven to offer direct benefits to anyone wanting to lose fat, build muscle, and increase general energy and stamina levels.
Sulforaphane is the Most Important Element of Broccoli Microgreens
Sulforaphane is a natural compound that occurs in high quantities in cruciferous vegetables like broccoli microgreens. It has emerged as an important compound in the health and fitness community due to its ability to support muscle growth, recovery, and a whole range of body functions.
Sulforaphane is available in supplement form, but unregulated products can contain fillers and lack many of the compounds that are found naturally in microgreens. Broccoli microgreens are the richest known source of sulforaphane.
By activating the Nrf2 pathway, sulforaphane is a powerful compound for athletes, bodybuilders, and anyone looking to improve their health with increased muscle mass and stamina. The Nrf2 pathway is the most important regulator of antioxidant, detoxification, and cell defense processes in the body.
To increase muscle mass, feel more energetic, and improve fat loss, you need to understand how sulforaphane and microgreens can benefit you.
Building Muscle and Increasing Stamina with Microgreens
Sulforaphane from microgreens works in three ways to build muscle, increase stamina, and help you lose fat.
- Supporting muscle growth to increase size and strength.
- Increasing available energy and stamina to improve performance.
- Increasing fat loss potential for a leaner and healthier body.
Sulforaphane, the key component of microgreens, has been scientifically proven to inhibit myostatin. Many bodybuilders and athletes targeting muscle growth know that myostatin sets a limit on muscle growth. Sulforaphane, by actively inhibiting this protein, can help you to break beyond your plateau, building more muscle more efficiently than before.
Energy and stamina are also a benefit of microgreen supplementation. Sulforaphane activates the Nrf2 pathway, increasing mitochondrial activity to create more usable energy. The very same process can also reduce recovery times. This is achieved by providing more ATP (Adenosine Triphosphate), the body’s energy ‘currency’.
But that’s not all that sulforaphane can do for you…
Sulforaphane actively works to reduce body fat through a function of the Nrf2 activator. Kanazawa University found that sulforaphane promotes weight loss by enhancing energy consumption and reducing metabolic endotoxemia. In studies, sulforaphane supplementation can result in a 20% visceral fat reduction. If you need to lose fat while building strength and stamina with muscle growth, sulforaphane is one of the first compounds you should consider.
Microgreens are the Most Potent Source of Sulforaphane
Microgreens are the young sprouts of cruciferous vegetables like broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, and kale. Sprouts have between 10 and 100 times the levels of glucoraphanin (the glucosinolate of sulforaphane) than mature plants.
This makes it possible to give your body all of the sulforaphane it needs to reach peak performance without consuming impractical quantities of vegetables or modified extract products.
Sulforaphane is released when microgreens are crushed or chewed. Most fitness enthusiasts and athletes that consume microgreens blend them into beverages and salads. The flavor is mild, which is important considering that cruciferous vegetables are considered unpalatable by a large segment of the population.
Microgreens contain vitamins and minerals to provide nutritional benefits beyond sulforaphane.
- Calcium – supports muscle relaxation and contraction.
- Iron – supports red blood cells to deliver oxygen and maintain energy.
- Magnesium – supports energy production and protein synthesis.
- Phosphorus – supports metabolism and energy production.
- Potassium – supports muscle contraction and hydration.
- Zinc – supports muscle growth.
- Chlorophyll – supports recovery and fights inflammation.
- Vitamins A, B, C, E, and K – for energy, recovery, growth, and protection against oxidative stress.
A Dietary Change to Meet Your Fitness Goals
Sulforaphane doesn’t work alone. Clean protein, rich in amino acids, is the building block of muscle. Sulforaphane taken through highly potent microgreens supports important biochemical functions, so you get the most from your nutrition and workout plan.
Broccoli microgreens are well tolerated, even in high quantities.
If you aren’t incorporating microgreens into your diet today, it’s time to ask yourself why, especially considering all the clearly demonstrable and scientifically backed evidence
Resources and References
- https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3528693/ Sulforaphane causes a major epigenetic repression of myostatin in porcine satellite cells
- https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26365487 Sulforaphane is anticonvulsant and improves mitochondrial function.
- https://www.kanazawa-u.ac.jp/latest-research/44719 Sulforaphane, a phytochemical in broccoli sprouts, ameliorates obesity
- https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC23369/ Broccoli sprouts: An exceptionally rich source of inducers of enzymes that protect against chemical carcinogens